After nearly six years in wellness , I've been asked countless questions about gas and bloating—a common digestive concern that can leave many feeling uncomfortable and perplexed.
Common Signs and Symptoms of Gas or Gas Pains:
- Passing gas
- Pain, cramps, or a knotted feeling in your abdomen
- A sense of fullness or pressure in your abdomen (bloating)
- Observable abdominal distention
In my years of collaboration with healthcare providers, we've identified several factors contributing to gas and bloating:
- Consuming excessive salty foods
- Eating too quickly
- Food intolerances, including dairy, gluten, and certain carbohydrates (Consider a trial-and-error approach to identify triggers.)
- Constipation, often caused by incomplete bowel movements (Increase dietary fiber, fruits, and vegetables for relief.)
- Slow gut motility, commonly associated with diabetes or thyroid disorders
- Functional disorders involving the gut-brain interaction (Dietary changes and probiotics may offer support).
Prevention is my preferred approach, and coincidentally, it often alleviates bloating. Here are steps to help:
- Regular exercise - easier said than done but any movement will do!
- Exploring herbal teas
- Addressing magnesium deficiency, a potential cause of bloating
- Proper hydration
- Minimizing processed food consumption
- Consider researching and learning about Elimination Diets to understand how certain foods may trigger gas and bloating.
- Targeted Probiotics: If your healthcare provider diagnoses you with SIBO or another gut bacteria imbalance, they can assist in rebuilding your microbiome by reintroducing specific bacteria to restore balance.
Remember, addressing gas and bloating is a holistic journey, and I'm here to provide insights and support as you navigate it.
For more expert insights, consider exploring the sources below:
Ready to embark on your journey to digestive well-being? SHOP NOW for products that can complement your efforts.